NIPT Harmony Test & Dating scan
Harmony is more accurate than traditional Down syndrome blood tests and much less likely to give a false-positive result. That means there will be much less chance your doctor would recommend follow-up testing, such as amniocentesis. Early Life Ultrasound Centre are able to make the appropriate referrals should any follow-up testing be required.
Harmony also tests for two other genetic conditions - trisomy 18 (Edward syndrome) and trisomy 13 (Patau syndrome).
In addition, with Harmony you have the option to evaluate X and Y sex chromosomes.
Non-invasive prenatal testing based on cell-free DNA analysis is not considered diagnostic. Once you have your Harmony test results, you can discuss your pregnancy care with your usual healthcare provider.
Harmony™ in the UK – which has been validated for pregnant women of all ages and all risk categories. NIPT is becoming an increasingly important, as the UK National Screening Committee has recently released its recommendation for incorporating it into the national screening programme for women with higher risk results, and for evaluating its impact on current screening. The Harmony™ in the UK Prenatal Test is available for:
- The detection of trisomy 21, 18, and 13.
- All singleton and twin pregnancies from 10 weeks.
- All IVF pregnancies using own or donor eggs.
- Optional X and Y chromosome aneuploidy, or analysis for monosomy X only for singleton pregnancies, if appropriate.
- There is an additional option for fetal sexing for twin pregnancies, if appropriate.
- Results include fetal fraction (cell-free DNA percentage), which in line with the recommendation from the International Society of Prenatal Diagnosis (ISPD).
- Results are available within 5-7 working days
- The Harmony test cannot be performed on multiple pregnancies other than twins.
- The Harmony test cannot be performed on vanishing twin pregnancies
- Despite its accuracy, NIPT is a screening test and an invasive diagnostic test would be required to receive a definitive diagnosis.
Early Life Ultrasound Centre offer the Harmony test in conjunction with a dating and viability scan to ensure that your pregnancy is 10 weeks and to rule out any of the above.
Three steps to clear answers
While other commonly used tests for Down syndrome are performed later in pregnancy and require multiple office visits, Harmony delivers clear answers as early as the first trimester with a single blood draw.
- A maternal blood sample is taken around week ten of pregnancy, or later
- DNA in the sample is analyzed using proprietary Harmony technology.
- Test results are reported to your provider in 7 business days or less.
For further information that may be useful regarding NIPT, please visit the below websites.
IMPORTANT - Please ensure that prior to attending your appointment you are well hydrated as this can sometimes affect ability to take blood samples.
Please note - The system will allow you to book on other days but we will need to call to re-arrange if an appointment is made outside of Harmony clinic days.